Frequently Asked Questions

Facts and People you may need to Notify

Everyone here at M.A. Connell Funeral Home is dedicated to making this trying time go as smoothly as possible. We are all here to assist you in any way we can. The following is a list of people you may need to notify of your loved ones passing.

If applicable, notify your attorney of the death, ask him/her how many death certificates are needed.

Life Insurance Company:

Each company has its own claim form. You need to call them to notify them of the death. They will then tell you how to proceed in filing the claim.

Social Security: (800) 772-1213

Will be notified by the funeral home, however it is always a good idea for the family to contact them also. If there is a surviving spouse, he or she may be entitled to a one time benefit of $255. If the decedent has children under the age of 18 they may be entitled to benefits under the social security act.

You also need to:

a)  If monthly check is being deposited directly into bank, a death  certificate should be taken to the bank before the next check is deposited.
b)  If monthly check is being mailed to the residence, take the check out of the envelope and write across face of check in ink: Deceased - date of death and mail back to Social Security in envelope provided.
c)  If spouse is eligible for increase on monthly check, notify social  security and forms will be mailed to you.

Notify banks:

a)       Continue using joint checking account.
b)       To close any savings accounts, a death certificate may needed.
c)       Safe deposit boxes will be sealed when bank finds out death, a death certificate may/ will need to be shown.

Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles

a)      to get the information needed to transfer and/or sell any        
b)      When changing a registration on a car, take the current registration title deed of the car, insurance identification card along with a death certificate.

Notify your automobile insurance company:

You may be entitled to a partial refund or change in premium.

If the decedent owns stocks or bonds you should notify the broker.

Notify the union, if applicable, the decedent was a member of. There may be a pension or life insurance benefits.

Please contact our funeral home to learn more about our services.

M. A. Connell Funeral Home, Inc. provides funeral planning for Greenlawn, NY; Spring Harbor, NY and the surrounding area. Please contact us if you have any questions about our funeral home.